24 August 2012

Angkor Temples!!! - Part 1


Sunrise at Angkor Wat


Apsara Dancers


Made it to Angkor!  But this was at 5:30am.  Ugh!



At a nearby monastery


Beautiful detailed stonework





This is the mother ship of temple tourism and it is pretty awesome.  It was amazing to get lost and explore this vast area of temples for three days.  I could have done more but with a few days off between seeing that it’s exhausting scrambling around all of these temples, climbing stairs, poking my head around every corner, dealing with the heat, and just being in stimulation overload.  But just to be around all this history and stunning architecture is quite breathtaking and exciting.

Upon arrival, I didn’t realize there were so many temples in this one area (which from end to end by tuk-tuk can take nearly 1.5-2 hours to get to from the entrance.  So that’s why they have 1-day, 3-day, and 1-week tickets available.  Three days was good, but one week would have been a bit better.  I just didn’t think I would be in Siem Reap for so long.  I thought 3-4 days initially, and I was there for 9 days in the end.  I really liked it there, kept meeting really cool people to hang out with along with good restaurants, interesting places to explore and learn about, and kept hanging out with a core group of fusball players at one bar with great music!  Night markets!  Fish massages!  Cambodian massages!  Nice locals!  Everything is cheap!  What more could a girl want? 

Above are just a few pics from Angkor Wat.  I'm splitting them up in separate posts as I have so many and they're all starting to blur as to which was where and what it was called.  Enjoy!  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home